Monday, September 27, 2010

Scene Analysis

    Last night after the boys went to bed (even the big one) I finally had an hour to wind down before bed by watching television. I sat down on the couch next to my husband with a glass of wine and decided apparently, the best thing for me to do  with long awaited relaxing moment was to fill it up with conversation. A friend of mine has been sharing some information with me recently about a PhD program which I have gotten really interested in. 

One of my personal struggles in my marriage is that I feel that I am not getting enough support to pursue my dreams. I would like to learn to meet my need for personal and proffessional growth in ways that allow me to feel that I am still engaging for my family. As a thinking woman who also values family, it is a constant battle not to become bitter and feel trapped by the limitations I feel my marriage (not to be confused with mamahood conflicts) has placed on my personal development. I have noticed that many of the marriage books I have been reading recently focus on communication. One pattern that seems to be emerging is that after I read these books our marriage may get better temporarily in that we argue less, however I am still for some reason left feeling angry and distant from my spouse. 

 My husband nodded and appeared supportive but said little . I decided to take the conversation further in an attempt to "draw" him out. I wanted to talk about shared goals, and things that we could think of doing or working toward together rather than just focusing on myself so much.  Here's a short clip from that conversation.

Me: What is your plan for our future?
Him:  I would like to continue working, get a better position at a better company.
Me: Do you have any other goals?
Him:  What do you mean?
Me: Personal goals?  
Him: Guys don't really think like that.
Me: Huh?


From this conversation I was able to identify two barriers to creating a shared identity
  1. My inablity to shut my blabber mouth and let my husband watch a  well earned television show in peace.
  2. A lack of shared goals.
I decided to do some research  on this topic (much better than matching up all those poor sad socks in my sock basket).

Here's what I learned from the Marry Blogger

  • Goals should be created seperately and then combined
  • Goals should be divided into pre determined categories (i.e. education/career, health and fitness, things to try/do, and financial)
  • Goals should be challenging and specific.
  • Consciously applying some of the same principals that I use in personal growth and development can also benefit my marriage

2 comments:

  1. ABWAG lists some critical elements of scene analysis:

    What is the story?
    What is the author trying to tell us?
    What is he getting at?
    What's the deeper meaning underneath the plot and all the words?
    What's the main statement he's making to the audience?
    http://www.abwag.com/scene_analysis.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. great link- and love the goal making criterea list!

    ReplyDelete